How long has it been since you last changed your home’s air filters, Chantilly homeowners?
Home air filters trap and remove dust and particles from the air you breathe; leaving “clean air” to circulate your home.
Clean air in your home is important because it promotes better health.
One way to keep to keep your home’s air as clean as possible is to replace its used air filters at least once per quarter; or once monthly in homes with shedding pets or that otherwise “get dusty”.
Changing air filters is among the easier do-it-yourself chores for a Fairfax area homeowner; a task that takes less than one minute. The secondary benefit of doing it is that new filters help keep your HVAC unit in tip-top shape.
Here’s how to change your home’s air filter :
- Open the air filter compartment door/slider on your HVAC unit.
- Note the size of your current filter. It’s typically written on the frame.
- Note the direction in which the filter is pointing. There may be an arrow on its frame.
- Purchase a new filter at a hardware store. Make sure the sizes matches the size from Step 2.
- Remove the old filter.
- Replace old filter with the newly purchased one from Step 4. Make sure the arrow is pointing in the same direction as the original filter’s arrow.
- Using a marker, note the date of filter change on the side of the filter.
- Close the air filter compartment door/slider.
And that’s it.
When you find a filter type and style that you like, consider buying them in bulk — it can be helpful to have extra air filters laying around the home for when you need them — especially during season changes when you may want to replace filters more frequently.
In addition, when purchasing air filters, don’t opt for the cheapest available. Often, the least expensive filters allow large particles to recirculate through the HVAC unit, and back in to your home. Choose a mid-level or top-line product instead.
Your home and your health will thank you.
And when you are preparing your home for the possibility of selling here in the Northern Virginia area (or moving from elsewhere), please know that I am here to help! You can contact me directly with any questions.
If you are searching for a Chantilly area real estate agent, trying to make sure you make a great choice from the start, I invite you to visit of real estate Testimonial Video. It is an honest presentation of what makes us different.